Captain

I captain my train on the corner of Soul Street,
This station is where I launch my life
I ignore my engine which sputters under the heat
Ain't nobody been on my train, not even my wife
You see, my train is another name for me
And people normally don't crawl inside
So why let anybody in, if I've got the key?
My wife says she wants to help, that ain't everybody wants a ride
But I don't need no help, my life is just fine
So I bumble onto the tracks and wave goodbye
Pretending to be all businesslike as I roll down the line
But I ain't leaving to pick up coal, I be going to die
When I clear town I stop at a pasture
You know they always said to stop and smell the roses
But sometimes when you fall too far, there ain't no cure
Best thing you can do is submit to your pains and woes
Back on my train, I chug to the cliff
And think how'll finally get to touch that sky
God, I hope I don't miss
All I am is a good ol' man trying to die
Before I accelerate I contemplate that man so wise
All that talk about being in control,
And I captain my train for the very last time, and fly to em' sunrise,
And as I fall, the sunrise in my window casting away with a pull
I rethink, William Ernest Henley's words don't fit my mold,
It really ain't wise to be captain of your soul.
-anna sluder

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time present time

Green

The Only Future I See