Ashes

I was there when they burned her 
Welded her into fine grains of sand
She always loved beaches 
So I wasn't surprised when there she wished to be spread 
I asked her soul as it sizzled 
If it'd like to be sprinkled with the other sands 
But she said no, she'd spent her whole life walked upon
And she didn't want to do it again 
So I rubbed her between my palms 
As it fell in sheets into the sheets of the waves 
And when my brother asked if that was all of her
I said no as I still held a piece of her in my hand 
He knew what I'd do as I cupped it in my palm
Then offered some to my brother 
He didn't want to, he didn't love her the same
So I brought my hand to my lips and swallowed the ashes of my mother. 



-anna sluder 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time present time

Green

The Only Future I See