On the corner of Amelia and Earhart

I flicked away the clouds 
And snapped for the trees to part
Fluttering to your balcony 
On the corner of Amelia and Earhart 
So every day you'd leave a little piece of bread 
And just stare at me with a smile
Then you'd do your crosswords in pen 
As I people-watched for awhile
Then one day you put down your crosswords 
And picked up a pencil instead
You would intricately sketch my wings on you 
Feathers sprouting from the place below your head 
Every day your eyes were a little more bloodshot 
Staring unwaveringly from my wings 
Until one day I came home to you
To see that you had let your blood sing
Over the balcony and on the ground your arms spread out like wings 
Your body arched like a bird's, you looked so broken yet so free
So I mourn at all that I would've given 
If I had known you had just wanted to be me. 

-anna sluder

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time present time

Green

The Only Future I See