The Sword Swallower

Lumps rise like Everests in my throat 
Drying and tightening like a cracking icy coat
And I have to take a bite off of this fear 
Chew it like tobacco, black juice dripping out like tears
For fear is an acquired taste 
Grinding my teeth to choke it down like its a race
But it is a race, to keep from others from seeing that instead of strong and declared
I truly am scared
Therefore I squeeze down my pharynx whatever fate says to chew 
And I have to smile and say that it tastes good too 
Because nobody wants to hear
That you really need the Heimlich from fear 
For its all a show, a mask to all the strife
So I guess you can say I am a sword swallower in this circus called life. 

-anna sluder

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time present time

Green

The Only Future I See