Rules

Charmless boys get nowhere
They say
Flirtless girls get nowhere
They say
Charming boys get nowhere
They say
Flirting girls get nowhere 
They say
Than what is there left to be
A loose confederation of hopes and dreams?
A pink paper doll tearing at the seams?
No, you want some mass of muscles and skin
Flopping about unopinionated and numb 
You don't like us fish out of water
Questioning your frilly expectations
Because we are too slippery to grasp
Bouncing about not easy to catch
You think we just want to rebel, but we just want to breathe
Not in the water, not in the air because nothing is ever clean 
So give me your one way mirror rules and rules 
And I will saturate them in your own filth, unreadably wet
And in that moment with the disintegration of words
I will not be charmless or charming, flirtless or flirting 
I will be a girl or I will be a boy
Finally breathing in the space between the funeral of rules.

-anna sluder

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time present time

Green

The Only Future I See