Egg Colored House with Blue Shutters

Mama used to tell me to close my eyes
And think of the egg colored house with blue shutters 
Where we sat on the white picket fence and watched the sun rise
And fell asleep in our beds as the moon turned to butter 
And instead of eating one dollar burgers and fries
We would play all day in the green lawn
And at night Mama would feed us lasagna and pies 
And instead of sleeping from bench to park 
Mama would tuck us into warm blankets
And the next day we would awake in our beds to the sound of meadowlarks
And on the days that I struggled to see the egg colored house with blue shutters 
Mama would say look with your heart and not with your eyes
Yet as the image didn't come clearer and the days ran together
I realized that Mama had raised me in a house of lies. 

-anna sluder

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time present time

Green

The Only Future I See