Pink Painted Nails

I think I'm just a scared little girl
Wrapped up in skin, hair, and pink painted nails
Wearing a smile like an accessory instead of a lifestyle
Pretending that tears don't actually make your eyes feel like they are on fire
Pretending that kites fly free and aren't truly tied down to a string
I think I'm just a scared little girl
Navigating the land mines of this world
Pretending that children in other countries don't get stolen from their homes
And killed and raped and shot in any order the perpetrator pleases
Pretending that I don't see the walls that go up like fireworks on the Fourth of July
Pretending that I'm not drinking a hundred dollar bottle of champagne when half the world doesn't have water
Pretending that I don't feel melancholy like another limb on days where the sky is grey
Pretending that love isn't the best and the worst thing that ever happened to me
Pretending that we aren't all afraid
I think you're just a scared little girl
Wrapped up in skin, hair, and pink painted nails.

-anna sluder

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time present time

Green

The Only Future I See