Learning

I have not learned yet
how to swallow pills any other way but one by one;
but I am learning.
I am learning ways to catch up with the world,
to make a firefly pass through the eye of a needle,
to shrink myself like old peach skin to fit,
to stop rinsing off the sunrise-flesh flecked pit and pocketing it in my dress.
I am finding ways like I will always find ways to get my toast out of the toaster without burning my fingers;
but sometimes the ways are like gravel in my shoe,
for it's hard to be soft like vein like stringed squash in a body of bone.
So I stopped taping old books back together
and yesterday, my brother tossed me in a pool when I didn't know how to swim;
and I didn't drown.

-anna sluder

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time present time

Green

The Only Future I See