Shower Apologies

I have bought every loofa, exfoliating glove, scrub brush, shave lotion, and hair removal cream,
but I can never scrub or shave some things off of me.
I cannot scrub the shame of my body, no matter how hard I push,
I cannot scrub off all the miles of looping skin and lumpy cellulite,
the gnarled twists of varicose veins,
the deep swells of bruises rising from unknown places like ravens,
I cannot shave off all of the hair,
it just keeps growing back and coming back like a daily reminder pinned to the world's bulletin board
of my tireless grotesquity in my raw and unadulterated form.
I cannot scrub the stench of sexual assault off of me,
or all the purple perfect fingerprint impressions you left on my skin.
I cannot scrub the feeling of you off of me
or shave away the shame that I wasn't strong enough to fight you off,
the helplessness, I cannot scrub the feeling of weakness,
of my body being powerless against yours,
my voice,
my protests, only eggshells to yours.
I am convinced that at my wedding altar,
my wedding vows are going to be,
"I'm sorry for my body."
And he will be angry about my apology for something he says doesn't need to be apologized for,
and I will say, "I'm sorry, I'm from the Midwest. Sorry, I'm a woman, and that's just how we were raised."
To say sorry when you assault us for not having the perfect body to assault.
Today, I buy another shower brush,
this one is to scrub all of the apologies off of me,
but I can't do that either.
So I say sorry, and I add it to my collection.

-anna sluder

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time present time

Green

The Only Future I See